Senior Network Engineer
Roanoke Roanoke, VA 24002
Job Title: Senior Network Engineer
Duration: 6+ Months
Location: Roanoke VA 24002
About our Client : Our Client is a leading global professional services company, providing a broad range of services and solutions in strategy, consulting, digital, technology and operations. Combining unmatched experience and specialized skills across more than 40 industries and all business functions – underpinned by the world’s largest delivery network – Our Client works at the intersection of business and technology to help clients improve their performance and create sustainable value for their stakeholders. With approximately 425,000 people serving clients in more than 120 countries, Our Client drives innovation to improve the way the world works and lives
Network Engineer II is an intermediate level IT position directly supporting the network in all day to day activities. This role is an individual contributor who will work closely both within a team environment and individually to achieve specific goals. The successful candidate will be able to work well within a team, collaborate directly with other IT and business departments, and handle several different projects at the same time.
- Solid communication skills. Consistent communication and keeping requester informed of ticket status. Ability to translate end-user concerns to technical needs for communication within team or with other IT teams.
- Good collaboration skills, within team and with others. The engineer must have the ability to work with others in a collaborative way, sharing his/her ideas/opinions.
- Prioritizing operational issues and implementation tasks based on alignment with defined urgency and prioritization guidelines.
- Must be able to manage requirements gathering, technical definition and task tracking to be successful.
- Understanding of TCP/IP. Specifically, how do systems communicate over an IP network, the differences between TCP and UDP communication, and what applications / OS’ / NICs are responsible for in the communication stack.
- Firm grasp of client application uses (MS Office, Putty, etc). Understanding of valid use-cases with these tools.
- Awareness of web applications and use-cases for them. Understanding of web browser configuration and caching implications on connectivity to web applications.
- Ability to understand operation of network firewalls, where they are positioned, and impact they could have on communication between areas of the network. Able to use event management tools to research and identify general impacts on connectivity due to network firewall systems.
- Understanding of enterprise data center services, and interoperation between applications and databases.
- Developing SME-level knowledge with 1-2 technical solutions. Primary resource involved for escalated troubleshooting or LLD decisions with those technical solutions.
- Ability to develop task-lists for minor projects, including recognizing LoE, and predecessors / dependencies.
- Proficient in the configuration, implementation and troubleshooting of Routing, Switching, QoS, WAN Optimization, DNS/DHCP, Network Load-Balancing, and 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless technologies and industry best practices.
- Ability to understand WAN circuit technologies, such as DS, OC/SONET, DWDM, as well as the implementation, management and the associated industry best practice troubleshooting methods.
- Ability to understand the 7 layers of the OSI network model.
- Ability to use industry standard tools and learn AAP specific tools to understand and diagnose issues with network infrastructure / services.
- The ability to understand IPv4 networks and subnet masks and calculate CIDR boundaries.
- Able to identify and document the root cause of network issues and outages, as well as recommended after-action changes to prevent further recurrence.
- Able to open a support case and work with vendor TAC services to resolve open issues.
- Familiar with different desktop operating systems and the correct tools for an IT professional.
- Comfortable with GUI interfaces as well as a CLI interface.
- Ability to effectively use Network Monitoring tools to isolate and diagnose problems proactively.
- Can work independently on multiple projects or tasks.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS"
Cisco Certified Network Analyst (CCNA) and/or Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) desired
About ASK: ASK Staffing is an award-winning technology and professional services recruiting firm servicing Fortune 500 organizations nationally. With 5 nationwide offices, two global delivery centers, and employees in 42 states-ASK Staffing connects people with amazing opportunities
Ram @ firstname.lastname@example.org ; 678-257-2405